- To utilize an off-the-shelf, low-cost device for a Human-Machine-Interface (HMI)
- The HMI must feature no moving parts such as cooling fans and disk-drives
- The HMI must not play any role in the actual real-time control of the machine
- The HMI must utilize a state of the art, well supported, freely available operating system (OS)
- The HMI must be battery-supported and not have to be permanently attached (wired) to the machine
- The HMI must be able to connect to the internet without fear of virus infection affecting the operation of the machine.
- The HMI must have internet audio/video communication capabilities to facilitate on-line factory support
- The HMI must have internet file-transfer capabilities for fully automated backup of part-data and machine-specific parameters
For all of the above, we found that the Android-based tablet is the ideal solution. The tablet is protected by an aluminium enclosure, machined from solid billet.
Provision is made for both the front and rear-facing cameras. This allows the customer/operator to communicate with external support personnel via live video and audio. Thanks to the portability of the unit, the user can carry it to the specific area of concern.
The Phenix software has Skype integrated and so using this and remote control features, we are able to diagnose problems, adjust the servo systems and update the software, etc., very quickly and effectively.
The HMI is a standard wireless device that communicates to the machine via a direct BlueTooth connection and to the outside world (Internet, Cloud Storage, Factory Support, etc.) via in-house WiFi or built in sim card.
The HMI is linked to a particular machine, only by means of the Email address that is registered to the HMI device. Should it be necessary to switch to a different HMI device, simply inputting the Email address and Password will cause that unit to “inherit” not only the appropriate software but also the specific machine parameters and part-program data associated with that piece of equipment.
The quick-detach feature of the HMI allows it to be carried around the machine for setup and diagnostic purposes. When checking such things as signals from proximity sensors, this can be accomplished single-handedly.
The Quick-detach mechanism also allows the screen to be positioned at any angle.
Robust, industrial grade connectors are provided for power, USB, etc.
We also have a Smart-phone version which is able to edit part-data and display diagnostic information in real-time.
For those who don’t care about portability but would instead prefer a larger screen, There will be a non-portable, 22” model available.Back to Phenix